You must be at least 19 years old on race day to enter Helvellyn Sky Ultra.
Entries are via SI Entries, where you will be asked to detail your relevant experience
of mountain running and racing.
We advise for you to have good mountain skills and knowledge of mountain running.
Once you have loaded your details and race/mountain experience into the SI Entries entry page, you will then be charged for the entry and you will be naturally accepted.
This event is held in accordance to the ISF and SkyrunningUK rules, although not bound by them. The following additional
race rules and safety instructions also apply:
Health and wellbeing
- You must be confident of your own ability to enter and complete the race. You
must be fit, and in good health on race day.
- You must take responsibility for yourself, and fellow racers, during the race. Your
ability to exercise Sound Mountain Judgement is vitally important. Small incremental
errors can lead to disaster.
- Any runner must halt their race to offer help to any fellow competitor who is in
trouble or injured. The race directors will reward anyone who does stop to help.
Anyone who is found not to have helped a fellow competitor may be disqualified and
barred from entering any future Lake District Sky Trails events.
- You must understand and know how to cope with the common injuries such as
sprains, cuts and dehydration. You must be able to identify the signs of hyper- and
hypothermia (elevated or lowered body temperature). You must also understand
the onset of hyper- and hyponatremia (excessive or low levels of sodium in the
blood), and have an understanding of the symptoms of rhabdomyalgia (breakdown of
muscle tissue resulting in the release of muscle fibres into the bloodstream).
- Your ability to self-rescue in the event of injury is a must. You must carry mapping
(digital or analogue) to aid self-rescue, as noted in the Mandatory Kit list. We
recommend the 1:40000 British Mountain Map Lake District produced by Harvey
Maps. The carrying of GPS enabled devices is also encouraged.
- You must not use earphones on the course, for safety reasons. It is important to be
fully aware of your surroundings, wearing earphones does not allow this. Any
competitor found running with earphones will risk disqualification.
Safety on the course
- You must carry the mandatory kit at all times.
- You must follow the countryside code, especially in relation to shutting gates. It is strictly forbidden to climb any walls or fences.
- You must stay on the fully way-marked course and to deviate from this will risk disqualification from the race.
- You must follow either the race route (or the bad-weather route, if this is
implemented), as dictated by the Race Director or any race officials or course
marshals. Any 'on the hill' safety announcements from marshals must be adhered to - these might include race abandonment or instructions to wear waterproofs. The Race Director
reserves the right to cancel the race in extreme circumstances.
- Intense or prolonged rain before the event may cause river levels to rise rapidly. If
you reach an impassable stream, please move UPSTREAM to cross safely.
- Race numbers must be worn on the front of your chest, and must not be obscured
during the race. Race numbers must be given to marshals on the course. This is an
important safety feature. Failure do this will risk disqualification from the race.
Running with dogs
- Although we love dogs, we regret that running with dogs is not allowed at Helvellyn Sky
Ultra. This is for many sensible reasons, including all the farmers land we run across! Please do not
attempt to run with your dog: you will be disqualified, and risk being banned from
this event and all future Skyrunning UK events.
Open Tracking and GPS Tracking devices
- We will utilise Open Tracking GPS Tracking devices, and you will be issued with
a GPS tracking device. Failure to carry the GPS tracker for the entire route will mean you will be disqualified from the race.
- You must report back to the Race Director/Timekeeper at the Event Centre when
you finish or if you retire from the race. You must return your Open Tracking GPS tracking device: this is THE GOLDEN RULE. Failure to
do so will risk disqualification from the event.
- Lost or damaged or un-returned Open Tracking GPS trackers will be charged at the rate of £200.
Withdrawing and transferring entries
- Should you need to withdraw, a 50% refundwill be offered up to EIGHT weeks
before the race. Withdrawals after 20 May 2023 will be entitled to a first refusal
option to enter the following year's race - this is a deferral and will carry an admin
charge of 50% of the entry cost, as we have already committed costs for the race
at this point. No refund at all will be available. No deferrals or refunds are
available after entries close on 25 June 2023, as we will have fully committed with all costs
to the race.
- Entries are transferrable up until the closure of entries on 25 June 2023, but ONLY with the approval of the Race Director. Should you wish to transfer your entry to someone else, please email email@example.com asap.
- We advise you take out insurance for cancelations, as the above rules are not flexible.
- I understand that participation in Helvellyn Sky Ultra is a potentially dangerous
activity, involving varied risks and accept all responsibilities associated with the race,
including, but not limited to weather and its effects on individuals, ground condition,
injury, loss, death, intense cold or heat conditions (such as hypothermia,
hyperthermia, hypoglycaemia, hyperglycaemia).
- By entering this event, I agree that I will only take part on the day if I am in good
health and will have undertaken adequate training for the distance that I am running.
I understand that the organisers will take reasonable steps to promote my safety and
that I must comply with all instructions given by the race organisers and marshals. I understand that Lake District Sky Trails reserve the right to cancel my entry, should it be deemed by Lake District Sky Trails or their medical representative that I am not fit and healthy enough to participate or to continue in the event.
- I confirm that I have considerable mountain experience, moving fast across rough
terrain and have experience of scrambling on rock. I confirm that my
experience and knowledge is sufficient to look after my own needs during the race. I understand that, should it be deemed by Lake District Sky Trails that this is not the case OR if I have overstated or misrepresented my experience at the time of entering the race, Lake District Sky Trails reserve the right to cancel my entry.
- I confirm that I can exercise SOUND MOUNTAIN JUDGEMENT, making
personal decisions to protect my own safety when confronted with adverse weather
conditions. I confirm that I can and will mitigate my own risks by being fully prepared
to take part in Helvellyn Sky Ultra.
- I confirm that I am self-sufficient, and can deal with an emergency situation should it
- I confirm that I can self-evacuate from remote areas.
- I confirm that I will not push myself beyond the bounds of sensibility, and retire from the race, if necessary, at the earliest possible opportunity, so as not to put other
people in harm's way. I know my own limitations and will endeavour to avoid putting
any other person at risk through my actions.
- I confirm that I can competently follow a way-marked course, but that I can also
competently use a map and compass or GPS system to navigate back to safety in the
event of getting lost, injured or needing to retire from the race.
- I confirm that if I retire from the race, at any stage, or for any reason, be it injury,
fatigue or some other reason, then I will report immediately, or as soon as
reasonably possible, my retirement to a race marshal, and upon returning to the
event centre, I shall report my retirement to the Race Director. I confirm that if I
retire, I will return the timing device to the Race Director.
- I confirm, and allow, the race organisers, associated media partners to use imagery
(still or moving) in marketing materials to promote future editions of the race, or
any new race promoted by Lake District Sky Trails and/or Mountain Run. I confirm that any imagery may be
used to promote the race, including but not excluding online, in printed media,
video, news or broadcast.
- I confirm that I have read all race literature, as displayed on the website, or through
links provided on the website.
- I confirm that I agree to release Lake District Sky Trails, its staff, agents,
representatives, associates, sponsors, marshals, and volunteers for any and all liability, including but not limited to claims, liability, damages, demands, causes of actions for any loss, damage, injury, claim, legal fees or action arising from my
participation in Helvellyn Sky Ultra. This release extends to any claim made by my
family, estate, heirs, or assigns arising from or in any way connected with the
aforementioned activities. This release does not include a release to Lake District Sky Trails for acts of its own negligence.
- Lake District Sky Trails accepts its responsibility to make its courses as safe as is
reasonably practicable. However, adventurous activities are inherently hazardous
and cannot be completely risk free, however hard we try. Accidents can happen
without any contributory negligence from Lake District Sky Trails or its staff.
Lake District Sky Trails can accept no responsibility for loss or damage to personal
property or for personal injury not arising as a result of its own act or default. I
understand and accept the above statements and accept that I have a responsibility
to take careful note of instructions and to act in a way that will minimise the
likelihood of injury. I am fit for the course and will inform Lake District Sky Trails
before the course of any special medical conditions that might affect my safety.
- I understand that Lake District Sky Trails reserves the right to change the date, course or event base or, if necessary, to cancel an event entirely, in the event of Force Majeure (that is, unpredictable events beyond their reasonable control including, without limitation, natural disasters, war, civil or political unrest, terrorism and extreme weather). No refund will be available in this eventuality.
- In the event of cancellation by Lake District Sky Trails, Lake District Sky Trails will not be liable for any costs that I may have incurred relating to the event, including (but not limited to) travel, accommodation and/or other costs.
Lake District Sky Trails is a trading name of LDST Ltd.