You must be at least 19 years old on race day to enter Scafell Sky Race.
Entries are via SI Entries and are not vetted: however, Scafell Sky Race is much more than your average trail run
and we expect you to come prepared. You will be tackling 40km of steep and technical
terrain, and you will need to be a skilled and confident mountain runner to make the course
cut-offs and complete the route. We will ask you to detail your relevant running/racing
experience at the point of entry, and this may include:
- Longer, technical trail races such as Keswick Mountain Festival 25 or 50km;
- Other vetted or unvetted skyraces, e.g. Ring of Steall Sky Race, Mourne Skyline, V3K etc;
- ‘Long’ category fell or hill races;
- Skyrunning skills training courses with Mountain Run or elsewhere.
By entering the race, you are attesting your competence to complete the course. Any
competitor found to have deliberately misled the Race Director with regard to their
mountain running experience or ability will be expelled from the race and all future
This event is held in accordance to the ISF and SkyrunningUK rules. The following additional
race rules and safety instructions also apply:
Health and wellbeing
- You must be confident of your own ability to enter and complete the race.
- You must be fit, and in good health on race day.
- You must take responsibility for yourself, and fellow racers, during the race. Your
ability to exercise Sound Mountain Judgement is vitally important. Small incremental
errors can lead to disaster.
- Any runner must halt their race to offer help to any fellow competitor who is in
trouble or injured. The race directors will reward anyone who does stop to help.
Anyone who is found not to have helped a fellow competitor maybe disqualified and
barred from entering any future Mountain Run events.
- Your ability to self-rescue in the event of injury is a must. You must carry mapping
(digital or analogue) to aid self-rescue, as noted in the Mandatory Kit list. We
recommend the 1:40000 British Mountain Map Lake District produced by Harvey
Maps. The carrying of GPS enabled devices is also encouraged.
- You must not use earphones on the course, for safety reasons. It is important to be
fully aware of your surroundings, wearing earphones does not allow this. Any
competitor found running with earphones will risk disqualification.
Safety on the course
- You must carry the mandatory kit at all times.
- You must follow the countryside code, especially in relation to shutting gates. It is strictly forbidden to climb any walls or fences.
- You must stay on the fully way-marked course.
- You must follow either the race route (or the bad-weather route, if this is
implemented), as dictated by the Race Director or any race officials or course
marshals. Any 'on the hill'safety announcements from marshals must be adhered to
- these might include race abandonment or to wear waterproofs. The Race Director
reserves the right to cancel the race in extreme circumstances.
- Race numbers must not be obscured during the race. Race numbers must begiven
to marshals on the course. This is an important safety feature. Failure do this will
risk disqualification from the race.
Running with dogs
- Although we love dogs and run with them as our regular training partners, we
regret that running with dogs is not allowed at Scafell Sky Race. Please do not
attempt to run with your dog: you will be disqualified, and risk being banned from
this event and all future Skyrunning UK events.
SportIdent Timing and OpenTracking GPS devices
- We will utilise SportIdent timing and Open Tracking GPS, and you will be issued with
a ‘dibber’ and GPS tracking device. Failure to ‘dib’ at any of the checkpoints or
control boxes on the course will result in disqualification.
- You must report back to the Race Director/Timekeeper at the Event Centre when
you finish or if you retire from the race. You must return your SPORTident timing
chip and OpenTracking GPS tracking device: this is THE GOLDEN RULE. Failure to
do so will risk disqualification from the event.
- Lost or damaged SportIdent dibbers will result in a £30 charge; unreturnedor
damaged GPS trackers will be charged at the rate of £150.
Withdrawing and transferring entries
- Should you need to withdraw, a 50% refund will be offered up to EIGHT weeks
before the race. Withdrawals after 19 May 2018 will be entitled to a first refusal
option to enter the following year's race (this is a deferral and will carry an admin
charge of 50% of the cost of entry, as we have already committed costs for the race
at this point), but no refund at all will be available. No deferrals or refunds are
available after entries close on 15 June, as we will have fully committed with all costs
to the race.
- Entries are transferable up until the closure date of entries (15 June) but any transfers MUST be accepted and cleared by the race organisation. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancelling a room booking
- Any accommodation booked through us can be refunded (minus a £15 admin fee) up until the close of race entries on 15 June. No accommodation refunds will be possible after that time.
- I understand that participation in Scafell Sky Race™ is a potentially dangerous
activity, involving varied risks and accept all responsibilities associated with the race,
including, but not limited to weather and its effects on individuals, ground condition,
injury, loss, death, intense cold or heat conditions (such as hypothermia,
hyperthermia, hypoglycaemia, hyperglycaemia).
- By entering this event, I agree that I will only take part on the day if I am in good
health and will have undertaken adequate training for the distance that I am running.
I understand that the organisers will take reasonable steps to promote my safety and
that I must comply with all instructions given by the race organisers and marshals. I understand that Lake District Sky Trails reserve the right to cancel my entry, should it be deemed by Lake District Sky Trails or their medical representative that I am not fit and healthy enough to participate or to continue in the event.
- I confirm that I have considerable mountain experience, moving fast across rough
terrain. I confirm that my experience and knowledge is sufficient to look after my
own needs during the race. I understand that, should it be deemed by Mountain Run that this is not the case OR if I have overstated or misrepresented my experience at the time of entering the race, Mountain Run reserve the right to cancel my entry.
- I confirm that I can exercise SOUND MOUNTAIN JUDGEMENT, making personal
decisions to protect my own safety when confronted with adverse weather
conditions. I confirm that I can and will mitigate my own risks by being fully prepared
to take part in Scafell Sky Race.
- I confirm that I am self-sufficient, and can deal with an emergency situation should it
- I confirm that I can self-evacuate from remote areas.
- I confirm that I will not push myself beyond the bounds of sensibility, and retire from the race, if necessary, at the earliest possible opportunity, so as not to put other
people in harm's way. I know my own limitations and will endeavour to avoid putting
any other person at risk through my actions.
- I confirm that I can competently follow a way-marked course, but that I can also
competently use a map and compass or GPS system to navigate back to safety in the
event of getting lost, injured or needing to retire from the race.
- I confirm that if I retire from the race, at any stage, or for any reason, be it injury,
fatigue or some other reason, then I will report immediately, or as soon as
reasonably possible, my retirement to a race marshal, and upon returning to the
event centre, I shall report my retirement to the Race Director. I confirm that if I
retire, I will return the timing device to the Race Director.
- I confirm, and allow, the race organisers, associated media partners to use imagery
(still or moving) in marketing materials to promote future editions of the race, or
any new race promoted by Lake District Sky Trails. I confirm that any imagery may be
used to promote the race, including but not excluding online, in printed media,
video, news or broadcast.
- I confirm that I have read all race literature, as displayed on the website, or through
links provided on the website.
- I confirm that I agree to release Lake District Sky Trails, its staff, agents,
representatives, associates, sponsors, marshals, and volunteers for any and all
liability, including but not limited to claims, liability, damages, demands, causes of
actions for any loss, damage, injury, claim, legal fees or action arising from my
participation in Scafell Sky Race™. This release extends to any claim made by my
family, estate, heirs, or assigns arising from or in any way connected with the
aforementioned activities. This release does not include a release to Lake District Sky Trails for acts of its own negligence.
- Lake District Sky Trails accepts its responsibility to make its courses as safe as is
reasonably practicable. However, adventurous activities are inherently hazardous
and cannot be completely risk free, however hard we try. Accidents can happen
without any contributory negligence from Lake District Sky Trails or its staff.
Lake District Sky Trails can accept no responsibility for loss or damage to personal
property or for personal injury not arising as a result of its own act or default. I
understand and accept the above statements and accept that I have a responsibility
to take careful note of instructions and to act in a way that will minimise the likelihood of injury. I am fit for the course and will inform Lake District Sky Trails
before the course of any special medical conditions that might affect my safety.
- I understand that Lake District Sky Trails reserves the right to change the date, course or event base or, if necessary, to cancel an event entirely, in the event of Force Majeure (that is, unpredictable events beyond their reasonable control including, without limitation, natural disasters, war, civil or political unrest, terrorism and extreme weather). No refund will be available in this eventuality.
- In the event of cancellation by Lake District Sky Trails, Lake District Sky Trails will not be liable for any costs that I may have incurred relating to the event, including (but not limited to) travel, accommodation and/or other costs.
Lake District Sky Trails is a trading name of The Outdoor Warehouse (Windermere) Ltd.