Lakes Sky Ultra™ 2018
56km with 4500m ascent | 14 July 2018 | Ambleside | £90
If you’re looking for a serious challenge, this is it. Inspired by the great sky races of Europe, Lakes Sky Ultra™ is the most technically demanding course-marked race the Lake District has ever seen. Entries are vetted to ensure that only the most experienced runners will tackle this ultra-distance route, taking in some of the airiest ridges and most gravity-defying scrambles the Lake District can offer.
Classified by Skyrunning UK as a "Sky Extra" race, Lakes Sky Ultra is officially one of the most extreme events in the UK calendar for 2018.
“An epic, brilliant, bonkers race!” Ellie H, 2017
56km of Lake District paths, trails and tussocks with 4,500m ascent will test your endurance to the limit - but stamina alone won’t get you to the finish line.
You’ll need a good head for heights and nerves of steel: you’re going to traverse three of the most iconic ridgelines in the Lake District: Swirral Edge, the knife-edge of Striding Edge and the very alpine Pinnacle Ridge. We’re talking Grade 3 scrambling, and previous experience is a must.
We packed all the best central and eastern-Lake District mountain running trails we know into this course: you’ll go up and over Dove Crag, Hart Crag, Fairfield, Dollywagon, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, High Street, Thornthwaite Crag, Stoney Cove Pike and St Raven’s Edge. It’s an epic day out.
And just as you’re nearing the home strait, there’s a final sting in the tail: our King of the
Mountains Up- and Downhill Super Stages will be battled out on Red Screes, the last hill of
the day. It’s a race within a race, and the prizes will go to the runners who can dig the
deepest in the final flight to the finish.
Enter now on SI Entries. Included in your entry fee:
- Fully marked course
- A 'Sky Extra' Skyrunning UK event, awarding 50% bonus points in the Skyrunning UK National Series
- Lakes Sky Ultra buff
- Race tattoo to keep tabs on your progress
- One fully-supplied feed station (CP9, Patterdale) and 13 manned checkpoints
- Post-race meal (vegan & carnivore options)
- A finishers’ bottle of limited edition Lakes Sky Ultra Cowmire Hall Cider
- Open Tracking GPS Tracker
- Electronic timing & safety checkpoints from SI Entries
- A professional Safety Officer and supporting team
- A professionally planned event delivered by an experienced team
- A great day out in the mountains with hard-to-earn adrenaline and endorphins ...
Optional extras are available via SI Entries:
- Self catering accommodation at Race HQ on the University of Cumbria's Ambleside Campus (from £30 pp)
- Lakes Sky Ultra quality cotton tee (available exclusively to race entrants, £20 each)
- Branded cowbells for your support team (£6 each)
- Hot meal at registration on Friday evening – carnivore and vegan options available (£12.50)
- Post-race massage by KW Bodyworks (£15, with 25% donated to Ambleside MRT)